The first ward of the Nursing Home of Mytilene was founded on January 30, 1938, by the late Metropolitan of Mytilene, Mr. Iakovos of Dyrrachion, a great benefactor of the island of Lesvos, and was completed with costs fully financed by the Mytilene Charity Institution. It served the treatment of the poor and disabled elderly people of our town and had a capacity of 30 beds.
In 1960, the second ward of the Nursing Home was founded by the Metropolitan of Mytilene, Mr. Iakovos of Sisaniou and Siatistis, the Chairman of the Board of the Charity Institution, and was completed in 1968. The costs were entirely covered by the Charity Institutions of Mytilene. The ward had the capacity of 54 beds.
In 1990, Ward C of the Nursing Home was founded by the Metropolitan of Mytilene and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Lesvos Island Charitable Institution, Mr. Iakovos Frantzis.